Our goal is to only use packaging that can be recycled or composted where facilities exist.
Over the past four years, we have been working very hard to improve the sustainability of our packaging and to eliminate unnecessary packaging wherever possible. We continue to look for ways to increase the recycled content, recyclability, degradability and compostability of our packaging where feasible and cost effective. We have redesigned items to be more multi-functional, to be made with more sustainable materials and/or with less material.
The majority of our paper packaging is made with recycled content can be recycled (where commercial facilities exist).
- Napkins are made from 100% recycled fiber with up to 40% post-consumer content and are processed chlorine-free. They are printed with soy or water-based inks.
- Sandwich wrap contains 30-40% recycled material
- Specialty bags contain 50% recycled material
- Plastic salad bowls and lids are made from 95% post-consumer recycled material are recyclable
- Sandwich platters are made from 50% post-consumer recycled material and the platter bags are made from 40% recycled material. Both are recyclable
We believe that the most sustainable practice is to reduce “single-use” packaging where feasible. Our franchisees have the option to serve their dine-in guests with a reusable basket lined with deli paper. This approach minimises the associated waste stream and improves the meal presentation.
To further reduce bag usage, stores have the option of using a sticker to individually wrapped Subs for takeaway which eliminated the need for a bag.
Through other sustainable packaging solutions put in place in the UK and Ireland, we have moved:
- From polystyrene to paper in the bowls used for soup and meatballs. The paper used in the production of the bowls comes from Sustainable Forestry Initiative Certified suppliers.
- From a triple-wall to a double-wall hot cup, which is estimated to save 30 tonnes of pulp per year across Europe. It also takes approximately 25% less energy to produce.
- To a pulp moulded four-cup carrier made with 100% recycled content, which is also fully recyclable